Monday, April 16, 2007

Feeling Flushed

During a visit to my parents' house in Boynton Beach over the weekend, I announced that I was "going to the reading room" which was a less-than-subtle code phrase for saying I was going to the bathroom. It was so obvious, that my father handed me a section of the newspaper and gave me his best wishes.

A few minutes later, as I was enjoying my solitude, my mother stood on the other side of the door and said, "Knock knock!" Knowing that my mother is one to think that a closed door is an invitation, every muscle in my body tightened and I said, "Don't come in!" At which time the door opened and she handed me a Golf Digest magazine.

The picture above is me at the age of 5. It's nice to have this shot because it captures the last moment I ever really needed bathroom help from anybody. My wife and I have an open relationship, but not an open door relationship, so I didn't think to lock the bathroom door at my folks house. Score that an error.

Whenever I've acted a bit modest around my mother she has always attempted to put me at ease by saying "I saw you before you saw you." That may be true, but that's like barging into a house that you sold 30 years ago and telling the new owners that it's okay because it was your house before it was theirs.

My mother is very generous, so I know she was just trying to be helpful. The funny thing is, I eventually did need that extra reading material because she scared the you-know-what out of me!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT is TOO darn funny! What a visual... Did I tell you Mom walked in on me in the shower? She is forever trying to catch a glimpse. And here's to you, Mrs. Robinson.
Love, Terry Your oldest sister

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I love that picture!! I remember it well, because yes, I am one of Scott's sisters (I always have to remind him I'm his FAVORITE sister!) He was such a cutie, wasn't he???? You should have seen him in his Superman outfit!!! But I digress......that story is so MOM!!! She has never learned the meaning of the word, "boundaries!" We love her anyway! She's one of a kind, that's for sure! Come to think of it, so is Scott!!

Anonymous said...

There were 8 children in our family growing up and my mother had no issues with walking in on us in the "powder room" while we were showering or on the loo "catching up on our reading." There were no locks on those particular doors after my older brothers used to chase each other around the house and lock themselves in the bathroom and the other boys would pound on the door until it broke once in awhile. After my mother passed away, we have all had the experience of being indisposed and the door mysteriously opening on its own - we feel it's proof Mom has not changed her ways even in the afterlife....

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your blog! Keep on bloggin...

Anonymous said...

hey uncle scott! nice blog you got goin here...ANOTHER perfect venue for you!

you're so hilariously honest and honestly hilarious...

this is a definite bookmark for me that i'll be reading regularly.

xx
jami